2020 has been quite the year, and we are only just about a third of the way through it. Let’s take a look at what has made 2020 an unprecedented year thus far.
- Bushfires engulf the South Coast of Australia—killing one billion animals.
- Iranian General Qasem Soleimani killed in US drone strike—prompting fears of World War 3.
- The World Health Organization is notified of the novel coronavirus in China.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle step down as senior royals in Buckingham Palace—the first royals ever willingly step down from their roles.
- Iran launches ballistic missiles at two military bases in Iraq in retaliation to US drone strike.
- Ukrainian flight crashes in Iran—killing 176 passengers onboard.
- The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump begins for Trump’s alleged abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
- Wuhan, China, with a population of 11 million people, goes under an unprecedented lockdown—banning travel out or into the city to stop the spread of coronavirus.
- Kobe and Gigi Bryant, along with seven other passengers, die in helicopter crash.
- The United Kingdom withdraws from European Union after more than three years of deliberation.
- The Iowa caucus results are delayed due to “quality control.”
- The senate acquits Trump on both articles of impeachment.
- Harvey Weinstein is found guilty of third-degree rape and first-degree sexual criminal sexual act.
- Italy becomes first country to implement a nationwide lockdown.
- WHO declares the novel coronavirus a pandemic.
- Trump declares National Emergency amid Coronavirus pandemic.
- Dow plunges 2,997 points in the worst drop since 1987.
- The 2020 Summer Olympics are postponed until 2021 due to the spread of coronavirus.
- Trump signs $2 trillion stimulus package—largest relief package in U.S. history
- New York state alone has the highest number coronavirus cases of any country in the world.
It has been a year to remember. What do you think the next two-thirds of the year has in store for us?
Derek Rundell, is a successful business leader, operator, and serial entrepreneur. Derek has founded, managed and sold businesses in the technology, media and finance industries. He sits on several boards and serves as an advisor/investor to numerous established businesses and startups. Startups are Derek’s real passion, and in addition to building his own portfolio of technology, media and financial ventures, he invests in and mentors startups and entrepreneurs. He is passionate about sharing his knowledge and helping other businesses succeed.